Do I have your attention……? I asked a question and I know that many of you are wondering what on earth am I on about, I also know that many of you don’t know what I’m on about.
I am talking about self care, self love, self nurturing and healing for your vagina, for your womb, for your reproductive health system. Something that all you women should actually be doing or thinking about doing, because your womb health matters.
A Yoni Steam, is the ancient practice of sitting or squatting over a steaming pot of water infused with herbs.
The benefits of steaming your Yoni:
• Speed healing and tone the reproductive system after birth.
• Significantly reduce pain, bloating and exhaustion associated with menstruation.
• Decrease menstrual flow as well as reduce dark purple or brown blood at the onset or end of menses.
• Regulate irregular or absent menstrual cycles.
• Increase fertility, increases cervical fluids, helps relax the vaginal canal and cervix. Nourishes and tonifies the uterine lining
• Reduce uterine fibroid’s, ovarian cysts, uterine weakness, uterine prolapse & endometriosis.
• Assist with the repair of a vaginal tear, episiotomy, or cesarean scar.
• Assist with the healing of haemorrhoids.
• Relieve chronic vaginal/yeast infections, and works to maintain healthy odour.
• Ease symptoms of menopause including dryness or pain during intercourse.
• Detoxify the womb and remove toxins from the body.
• Release stored emotions and tap into the energy that is our creative potential.
So how did I find out about Yoni Steaming.
Funny enough, In 2005, I remember a friend talking to me stating that her mother got her to sit on a bucket of hot water with salts and herbs whiles her tummy was wrapped to help her with healing after birth and help her tummy to get flatter faster, I didn’t ask too many questions but thought it sounded interesting. This was my Ghanaian friend who said this was a tradition from her home country, I wasn’t given a name for it but have come to realise it was a vagina/womb steam.”
Yoni steaming was something I heard about quiet frequently after starting up my career as a Doula, something I wanted to explore and learn more about, this and a few other things lead me to attend ‘The Mother Warming Workshop’ facilitated by the herbal/holistic boss Doula Nicola Goodall from Red Tent Doulas. I say boss because Nicola really knows her stuff when it comes to natural remedies, she is like a book full of wisdom and I can spend hours sitting with and learning from her.
There was many things we learnt at this workshop in regards to taking care of mothers after birth, keeping the mother warm, rested and to promote healing through the use of herbs, tonics and oils for healing and restoring, warming foods, massage, bengkung and other traditional postnatal abdominal wraps, closing the bones and vaginal steaming, the workshop was really good.
Vaginal steaming was something that I had to take part in, something I had to do for myself and something I wanted to share with all the females I know because of the countless benefits.
I then started doing the Yoni Steam for myself, introduced a few of my clients, family and friends to it and received positive reviews.
Why did I use the word pum pum?… because that is the word Jamaicans and other Caribbeans use to describe the vagina and I have also had people asking me about the yoni steam, calling it the pum pum steam.
The first time I did it, the aroma of the herbs was beautiful, I had a nice herbal tea with me, I did the whole squatting over a bowl thing and my Lord it wasn’t as easy as I thought, my legs started to cramp after around 10mins and I didn’t want to do it on the toilet, it was a very relaxing and spiritual feeling but all that had to come to a stop early as I couldn’t stay comfortable for too much longer than 10mins. I then was searching for a yoni seat to realise there wasn’t much out there, this then lead me to ask my partner to make me my own yoni steam seat which I designed. My partner and my future father in law then put it all together for me, leaving me to do the finishing touches (the cushion) and how happy am I now, having my Yoni Steam in comfort (so much comfort that I fell asleep on it).
Now my invention inspired by Nicola’s “Mother warming workshop” is available for me to share with you. You can now start taking care of your Yoni by purchasing your very own Yoni Steam Kit here.
“Do something every day that is loving toward your body and gives you the opportunity to enjoy the sensations of your body.”